Saturday, April 27, 2013

Violets on the Shoulder

Today was a good day.

I'm glad. You didn't focus so much on the things that were wrong. 

I thought that, too. I learned something.

Really? What did you learn?

It's a long story.

I've got time.

I love old things, particularly old furniture. There is very little "new" stuff in my home. I'm not embarrassed by the old sofa that is so comfy.

You covered it up.

Well, maybe only a little. And I did buy a new one but I kept the old one for the room I use as my sanctuary.  It just sleeps so good.

You should use it more.

Yes, but pay attention! There's a lesson here. 

Sorry. I'm listening.

I used to restore old furniture to use in my home. I wasn't looking to sell it. I wanted it functional and to appeal my taste I wanted a "new" finish on it. I've done beds, chest, book cases, and even recovered chairs and sofas. I loved getting a "new" piece of furniture that people would ask about. I've pilfered roadside trash for a set beat up twin beds, paid a dollar for a beautiful lamp base with rusty fittings. I got years of use out of the refinished and refitted items. 

I remember that lamp. Milk glass. You know, I worked with wood, too.

Yes, I know. When you work with old furniture you learn pretty quickly that an antique has lots of blemishes that you'll be tempted to fix. Yet, the true collector would never for a moment, think of stripping the original finish, sanding out the rough spots and scars, and slapping a new coat of varnish on it. To do so would completely eliminate any value the article had and render it unsalable. It might be functional, but the piece would be worthless to those who prize authenticity. Antique connoisseurs have learned to appreciate the scars.

That sounds important. 

It is. See, life is a bit like that. For most of us, it is hard to accept the flaws that appear in our life on a daily basis. The little things that rear up in our path and cause us to stumble, balk, or even fall flat on our face seem larger than anything else around us. They're blemishes that we want to eliminate. 

And that's not good?

I don't think so. I spend so much time looking at the imperfections, I don't see the beauty of the item. I'm kind of like a well used antique.

Surely not!

I mean, there's lots of dings, nicks, bruises, and well, damage. Rather than focusing on the scars, you must take a step back and look at the overall finish, allowing the blemishes to blend into the background and become part of the beauty of the piece. You must learn to appreciate the scars while overlooking them.

I know about scars, too. But, what did you learn?

If you can redirect your focus, the things that get on your nerves and create chaos in your life will blend into the background and you may gain a greater appreciation for the overall piece. They won't go away but do it enough and you will learn to appreciate the scars. It isn't up to us to perfect the piece. Just learn to appreciate it's overall beauty. 

The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.Psalm 138:8

I have another question. How did you redirect your focus?

That was easy. I listened to you instead of the chaos.

Oh! 

Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. 1 Timothy 4:15

So, it worked? 

It worked. All day I listened to messages as I worked. I'm mixing my metaphors a bit but I realized that I've been so busy watching the potholes in the road that I missed the violets along the shoulder.

Ah... I think you found the title.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.

This Blog is protected by DMCA.com