Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Long And Dusty Road

I dropped the pack onto the ground and sat down on it. "I'm tired. This road is rough, hot, dust, long."

Well, yes, I suppose it is. 

"And this pack is as heavy as ever."

Really? I could have sworn it was a bit lighter.

"Well...................... maybe in some ways........... at the moment."

Are you planning on picking up something along the way?

"No."

Hmmmm.

"You never know, though, do you?"

Well, I do. You probably don't but you certainly anticipate.

"Yes, well, I don't like surprises."

I know. But be honest with me. You're blood pressure is down. You seem to have figured out why you've been sick for the last few weeks. You keep forgetting to eat and your blood sugar is bottoming out. Your RA, while not really under control, is not at the raging high it has been for nearly a year. You have your granddaughter living with you so you are worrying less about her.

"I wouldn't go so far as to say that."

Hmmmm. No, you wouldn't. But you are far less worried about her than before.

"I'll give you that one."

Big of you.

{sigh}

So you're going to do that?

I know but how else can I convey it? If I were really writing a story, I'd have said that I sighed and that would be wrong, too. I sighed. It is what it is.

You're still a little uncertain, aren't you?

"Maybe."

I don't break my promises.

"Was it a promise?"

Did I say it?

"Yes. But you know I never trust myself about these things."

We've been doing this a long time. And is it me or you that you don't trust?

"I don't trust the voice in my head sometimes."

I suppose in some ways that is better than listening to every voice you hear. 

"But I think I did trust it this time."

Yes. This time.

"I suppose it gets old, trying to prod me in the right direction."

I was already old when you came along and you're not the first sheep I've had to herd. You're not any worse than average. I think the secret is to listen more and argue less.

I glance down the road, squinting my eyes in the glare. 

You better get moving.You have a long way to go.


#ConversationsWithHim


 Photo Credit


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.

This Blog is protected by DMCA.com