Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Not Nearly Enough

Today is Be Humble Day. Did you know that? Neither did I. I don't even know what that means, actually. Humble -- well I know the definition, but how does one "be humble"? And if you go around being humble, are you a showoff? And isn't that the opposite of humble?

I'm belaboring the issue here, but I just find it very confusing. I don't like the word humble. It is supposed to be a spiritual attribute so I guess it is a good thing but if it is a good thing, why do we get bombarded with memes and psycho babble telling us to think well of ourselves and eat a steady diet of positive reinforcement on how very important and valuable we are to the world? That's not being humble.

We're told to be all we can be. Treat ourselves well and focus on our good characteristics. We're smart, witty, attractive, funny, canny, etc. But does anyone say, "I'm a humble person"? No, of course not. Because that wouldn't be humble.  

Micha 6:8 says: "He hath shown thee, O man, what is good: and what doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" KJV

The Amplified version elaborates: "He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you Except to be just, and to love [and to diligently practice] kindness (compassion), And to walk humbly with your God [setting aside any overblown sense of importance or self-righteousness]?" AMP

Wow. Overblown self-importance. That'd fill a stadium. Or a country.

I had to look. I found one page with 72 verses about humility so obviously; it is more important than the modern era realizes. I mean, it seems like a life and death issue.  All those mouthy folks who get up and spout all they've done for humanity .... they're not humble. Mama used to say actions speak louder than words. If a person has to get up and recite their accomplishments, well, they're not actual accomplishments. They're advertisements.

No, I think this humble thing is critical. It isn't all about us, is it? We're far too full of ourselves. Humility is an obsolete word in the current era.

But it is important.

"Seek the LORD, All you humble of the earth Who have carried out His ordinances; Seek righteousness, seek humility Perhaps you will be hidden In the day of the LORD'S anger." --Zephaniah 2:3

 Perhaps? No guarantees, huh? Wow. You might be hidden.

I really have to do more research. I don't know how humble I am but I suspect it isn't nearly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.

This Blog is protected by DMCA.com