Monday, January 16, 2023

He Said So!

I always try to take notes during church services when the subject is one I may want to study more or in case I want to come back to it later. 

Sometimes I "get" something unrelated to the message when they're reading the Biblical texts, too. I often read the entire chapter if they're not moving on to another section.

I'm inherently curious about the setting and context of the scriptures used, so reading additional verses before and after can provide both. Having read the Bible more than twice and reading daily means I'm no neophyte. And more than once, I'll get a thought I want to look up in later. 

This past Sunday, the 15th of January, 2023, I was taking notes on the Adult Bible class lesson "Buy the Field" one of our members taught. I noted scriptures and took brief notes regarding the pearl of great price and how the person bought the field just to insure he'd have the pearl buried there. He was referencing John 21:9-20, where Jesus was telling Peter to feed his sheep and to follow him. I, as usual, was reading beyond verse 20. As I read verses 20-22, I realized I had something important and noted it. 

I'm sharing it today. 

If you read the preceding verses, you may recognize this story as taking place after Jesus' resurrection. He made a meal for the apostles and now they're taking a walk. He's talking with Peter as they walk. The end of the conversation, and my "message" are as follows:

(John 21:20)  Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?”

(John 21:21)  When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?”

(John 21:22)  Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”

Do you remember many verses where Jesus talked roughly to his apostles? This passage is quite stern. I can hear the parental tone in Jesus' words. "You don't need to worry about what other people do or what happens to them. You keep following me."

How many times have you said this to your kids? "I don't care what their parents let them do. You do what I tell you." "It doesn't matter what Johnny does. I said NO." 

I raised two sons. Believe me, I've said this more than once. Probably over 100 times. Yet, I never realized Jesus said the same thing to Peter. And to me. 

Listen, I've had conversations with adults who make those same arguments. The "well, they do it" arguments. The "I don't see why I can't do that" complaints. We ALL say it and think it. 

As I read that during class, it felt like the principal stepped up to my desk and tapped me on the shoulder. He said, "It doesn't matter what anyone else does, says, or thinks. You keep your eyes on me and keep walking with me."

I reckon that's pretty good advice because He said so.



 

1 comment:

  1. I’ve been remiss about writing my own blog, and just now catching up on favorite writers I’ve neglected to read. As always, gleaning here is a fruitful harvest! I have a notebook in what I call my “church ready bag.” I’m not ready until I have it in my hand to go. It has my lesson book, handkerchief, pen, pencil, and a notebook for note taking. There are always new depths in scripture I’ve read over and over. I need to use these notebooks again! Thanks for using yours so well.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.

This Blog is protected by DMCA.com