Thursday, August 11, 2016

It is Never Better Late Than Never

Notice anything interesting about that sign? If you came across that what would you do? I mean, one of them must be left. Right?

Sometimes we're faced with two perfectly good paths, going in different directions. We have to decide which is right. The path we don't take is the one that is left.

Decisions are not my strong point. I will gnaw them until they're ground as fine as flour. I try to see every angle, determine the every pitfall, every turn in the road. Of course, it is impossible. I've walked dark paths, terrified and trembling every step of the way. Others I've taken with my head high, my smile bright, and my eyes devouring the scenery. The decision to take those paths was equally difficult.

You can't see around the bend in the road, over the hill, or through the forest. You must choose and go blindly forward, either anticipating the journey or dreading it. The way you approach the path will most likely determine the quality of the trip. And timing is everything.

Most days my journey is fraught with pain and despair. I get so tired of hurting and I don't understand why I can't be the person I was before RA. I really don't understand. Medicines designed to control the symptoms of the beast eating my joints don't work.

Days go by and I can't leave home because to walk hurts, exhaustion threatens my concentration, and depression saps the joy out of everything I contemplate doing. I've gained nearly 30 pounds as a result of steroid use. Because steroids work. I have to make a choice in damaging organs with steroids or damaging joints without it. What to do? Decisions. Decision.

Recently I made a major decision to attend a church closer to home. I have missed so much church in the last several years, too much. I reached a place where I was staying home more than I was going. Since Sarah lives with me, she also missed too much and the guilt became heavy. After months of struggling with the decision, I surrendered.

Now, a month later, I realize that I should have made the change after Jerry died. All the signs were there and I can see now that I stayed for all the wrong reasons. It was a decision that cost me.

Some decisions are harder than others, even when we know which is right. The spiritual and emotional relief I feel now, tells me that I made the right choice, although later than I should have and I see that the need to move was for my benefit.

How many times have we heard "better late than never"? Recently, I read that "to obey God late is the same as disobedience". We all know that disobedience has a price. I will never know what I missed by not acting when the promptings began. My only defense is that emotionally I was a train wreck as a result of Jerry's death. I can't be sure that it is an adequate defense. I have to trust God on that. I just don't want to make a habit of ignoring the signs.

If you find yourself with an urgency to do something but you resist it because you think the status quo is where you need to be, check the signs. Don't risk missing something that God has for you just because you think you're right. You don't know what you will miss. Make sure that where you are is really where God wants you. Don't be left.










3 comments:

  1. "to obey God late is the same as disobedience" Is that in the book of Hezekiah? Who said that? Where in the Bible does it say that?

    God kept you in that church--is not God greater than our foolishness? Can't God work all things out for HIs glory, according to His purpose?

    I agree with everything that you are saying but please, do not beat up on yourself. You are trying to obey and love God and do what you have thought was best. He will take care of the rest because He is all powerful.

    He is greater, Dixie. - chrisd

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is greater - but we can quench the Spirit. I'm reminded of Esther - had she not responded by saving her people, another would have taken her place, and God's blessing. Yes, He is greater - but one of His gifts is that we can say "No." God does not make us do His will. The list of people in Hebrews 11 are examples of those who had faith to follow His will - but many across the books in the Bible did not. I'll have to find the verses that tell us that sacrifices (animal at that time) are not as important as obedience. Doesn't mean He leaves us, either, but we do miss out on blessings that come with obedience. God remains sovereign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can always count on fresh perspectives from you ladies!

    The verse you are referring to is in 1 Samuel 15:22-24 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

    22 And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

    24 And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.

    So, Chris, while I understand what you're saying, obeying late may cause a person to miss something very important. It doesn't mean God doesn't love us, it just means we decided we know better than God what is best for us. I just didn't think clearly at the time. I'm sure God knew that. (Come let us reason together!) I'm sure we all do it, frequently, to some degree. We can't fix it but we can receive forgiveness for being stupid and do the best we can not to screw up again.

    I'm not beating myself up but issuing a warning to others that if you think you should be doing something... do it. In my case, I had to get so spiritually starved that I had no choice but to make a change. You can't imagine how it felt after months of only getting to church once a month, sometimes less. It is such a relief that I only have to drive 5-8 minutes and if I need to leave early, it is only minutes home. How silly of me to drag my heels out of some misguided loyalty or clutching at a past that I can't recall.

    Another verse, Phyllis, is "To him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." James 4:17. The verse above is a good addition here. We can't really know what is going to happen at any time. And it is why trying to obey is important. God won't lead us wrong.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.

This Blog is protected by DMCA.com