Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Price of Admission

I take my salvation for granted a lot. Most Christians do. We think once we get it, we're set for life. In my belief system, that isn't true. As long as we are obedient to God's Word we're covered. Although salvation is free, despite what many people think, maintaining it cost something.

 Before anyone goes off on a tangent about faith vs works, I remind you of this verse. "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1 

If you read the whole chapter you will find it takes a lot of work to present your bodies as a living, holy, acceptable sacrifice to God. Paul calls it a "service". I looked that up. I have to tell you, there are a lot of very interesting definitions for "service". Really, go read them. For purposes here, I selected the following: the work performed by one that serves.

Service involves work. Salvation is free, keeping it requires reasonable service, and that denotes work. End of discussion.

But that isn't what this blog is about. It is about praise. Like most Christians, I take my salvation for granted. Did I tell you that already? Well, it is worth repeating. We do. In addition to thinking because our salvation is free, that nothing else is required of us, we also don't spend a lot of time on praise. We deserve our blessings and we're thankful for them, but praising God is .... well ... work. And well, salvation isn't based on works. Right?

Not for me. You see, I want to move beyond the gates. I was born again, and that gave me access to the throne, but between the gates and the throne is a lot of real estate. I'm sadly lacking in so many areas, but how can I move forward across that great plaza? My service will make me a living sacrifice that is holy and acceptable to God, but if you've read your Bible, you know they don't make the sacrifice at the gates. Folks at the gates are just watching what goes on inside the courtyard. The sacrifice is made in there at the altar

"Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name." Psalm 100:4

Thanksgiving gets you through the gates. Praise gets you into the courtyard. Don't confuse the two. They are not the same thing. Praise is not thanking God for the blessings. It is honoring God for who he is, what he is, and why he is. We are not to praise just when the sun is shinning and all is right with the world but also when hell is knocking on our door and we can't move for fear of being consumed. Praise isn't about you and your blessings. It is about God and his sovereignty and holiness.

Praise is the price of admission to the presence of God. It is what is due him for being Him.

"Sing to God, sing praises to His name; Extol Him who rides on the clouds, By His name YAH, And rejoice before Him. A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows, Is God in His holy habitation." Psalm 68:4-5




1 comment:

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.

This Blog is protected by DMCA.com